What Should We Do For A Bee Sting?

Pevita Lena

Bees are important pollinators of many crops and plants. They help to ensure that these plants can produce fruit and seeds, which in turn helps to propagate the species. Without bees, many plants would simply not be able to survive. 

But you are prone to bee stings when heading outdoors to enjoy picnics and parks during summer. Yearly, more than half a million individuals are sent to an emergency room in the US due to stinging insects. If you spot bees around your house and are worried about getting stung by them, you should contact Barrier Pest Control.

What should we do for a bee sting?

When a bee stings, it injects a venomous substance into the person or animal, known as stinging. This venom can cause several different symptoms, depending on the person’s sensitivity. Some people may experience only a mild reaction, with symptoms like redness, swelling, and itchiness at the site of the sting. Others may have a more severe reaction, with symptoms like hives, swelling of the face and throat, difficulty breathing, and dizziness. In very rare cases, a bee sting can trigger anaphylactic shock, which is a potentially life-threatening reaction.

Those who are allergic to bee stings can experience anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. It occurs when the body’s immune system overreacts to a foreign substance, such as a food protein or bee sting.

Symptoms of anaphylaxis can occur within minutes after exposure to the allergen and may include:

  • Itching and swelling of the face, mouth, and throat
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Hives
  • Flushed skin
  • Dizziness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Drop in blood pressure

If not treated immediately, anaphylaxis can lead to shock and death. Epinephrine is the first-line treatment for anaphylaxis and should be given as soon as possible.

When you are stung by a bee, the first thing you should do is assess the situation. You must seek medical attention immediately if you are allergic to bee stings. If you are not allergic, then you can follow these steps:

  1. Remove the stinger: If the stinger is still in the skin, it is essential to remove it as quickly as possible. This will              help to prevent further irritation and infection. 

  2. Clean the area: Use soap and water to clean the area around the sting. This will help to prevent infection. 

  3. Apply a cold compress: This will help to reduce swelling and pain. 

  4. Take an antihistamine: If you are experiencing symptoms such as itching or swelling, taking an antihistamine              can help relieve symptoms.

  5. Watch for signs of an allergic reaction: If you start to experience difficulty breathing, swelling of the face or                  throat, or an increased heart rate, then you should seek medical attention immediately, as this could be a sign of          anaphylaxis, which is a potentially life-threatening reaction.

Next Post

Top 3 Symptoms of Tick Infestation in Dogs

Ticks are pesky little critters that are small enough to fit onto a dog’s head but big enough to feed on the blood of your pet. If one ever gets onto your dog, it will attach its mouthparts to the skin and suck blood for several days. The saliva from […]